Basic supplements for optimal health.

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Basic supplements for optimal health.

Postby RoB on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:50 pm

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently and i'm trying to stream line the supplements I take to the most cost effective and beneficial to health and this what I've come up with:

Fish oil - 5g ED
Vitamin D3 - 5-10,000IU everyday
Magnesium citrate- 2G ED
Zinc Picolinate 15mg elemental ED

Fish oil, well everybody knows about the benifits of that + cheap as chips. Vitamin D3 supplementation is vastly underated and incredibly cheap. I'd say its important maybe even more so than fish oils. You just cannot get enough exposure to the correct UVB wavelength in Britain, and unless you eat shed loads of herring row or cod livers its very hard to get enough from the diet on a consistent basis. Magnesium citrate, almost everyone one is deficient in diatery mag... mag citrate being a cheap and relatively bio-available form. Zinc is the same as mag, picolinate isn't the cheapest but its just what i use.

Anything else to add? i was tempted to put in cycled various adaptogens and maybe even pro-biotics.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Re: Basic supplements for optimal health.

Postby Craig on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Pro biotics are key if you have a weak immune system, poor digestion, any form of yeast infection (eg atheletes foot) or constipation/diahrea otherwise I wouldn't bother as your flora balance is probably good.

Vit D, probiotics, mag and test is all I use every day.
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:14 pm

and test...lol just seems strange to stick that on the end.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:28 am

Karlos wrote:and test...lol just seems strange to stick that on the end.

for optimal health only ;)
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 pm

RoB wrote:I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently and i'm trying to stream line the supplements I take to the most cost effective and beneficial to health and this what I've come up with:

Fish oil - 5g ED
Vitamin D3 - 5-10,000IU everyday
Magnesium citrate- 2G ED
Zinc Picolinate 15mg elemental ED

Fish oil, well everybody knows about the benifits of that + cheap as chips. Vitamin D3 supplementation is vastly underated and incredibly cheap. I'd say its important maybe even more so than fish oils. You just cannot get enough exposure to the correct UVB wavelength in Britain, and unless you eat shed loads of herring row or cod livers its very hard to get enough from the diet on a consistent basis. Magnesium citrate, almost everyone one is deficient in diatery mag... mag citrate being a cheap and relatively bio-available form. Zinc is the same as mag, picolinate isn't the cheapest but its just what i use.

Anything else to add? i was tempted to put in cycled various adaptogens and maybe even pro-biotics.

I think you've covered the most important minerals there and the fish oil is vital. I would also consider a B vitamin complex. As am sure you know the B vits work best synergistically and when taken together are vital for just about every protein dependent system in the body. I like the extra strength ones and notice a definite improvement in appetite and energy when taking them.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Return to Supplements