Aren's log: renewal

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Re: Aren's log: renewal

Postby simon m on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Aren

Great to see things are working out for you. Don't worry about minge, you'll some soon, fanny always arrives when you least expect it.

One thing I would advise is to lose the goatee, it looks bad and you never know it might put off potential clients and vaj as well.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Mate, I'm really pleased to see things are working out how you wanted them to at last.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

Ader, what's the dates for those two comps? The only thing holding me back from just getting some experience competing is the lack of equipment, which is bloody expensive for all three suits together. Suppose I could do the unequipped raw comp! Though pennies are so tight at moment even travel is tough to afford. With a bit of luck if things keep growing I should be doing a lot better money wise in a couple of months.

In terms of what you need to qualify to be a PT, rather sadly, I have to say the quality has significantly dropped in the industry of late - you can now get qualified in as little as 6 weeks. However, with your Powerlifting background you'd already have a good head start as those three compound lifts - in particular squat and deadlift - are still essentially the single two most valuable tools for "fixing people". (The squat, seemingly so simple, is in fact an extremely complex movement to truly master). Of course, I have to movement screen people to determine their global motor skills and proprioception, and then accordingly start to construct their program from there based on their goals. Most people's core strength is of course non-existent, so lots of transverse plane/rotational movements and mat work are required as pre-requisites to start to get them strong enough to do proper lifting.

But I digress. Yeah, you can do it in as little as 6 weeks, but mine took 3 months, and to be honest that is the length of time you really need to properly absorb the information (from a theoretical point of view; real world experience with clients is a whole new ball game...). I'd also strongly advise you do a PT diploma including sports massage therapy, even if you have no interest in offering massage per se, for the simple reason that it will enormously inrease your understanding of anatomy, biomechanics, and therapy/injury rehabilitation and just make you a far better trainer...

Cheers Gym-Pig, Rab, Scott, Coop. Simon, you're no doubt completely correct, but 'tis frustrating as fuckery waiting forever... Goatee going, no chance, that is my secret source of power like Emperor Ming, haha!

Cheers Alex. One day when I'm making plenty of £££ so I have some spare I'll get my arse into gear and come down and visit and we can get some training sessions in and kill each other like old times, haha!

-

Bought some flat Powerlifting boots of Pullum so waiting excitedly for those. Hope they fit right. My Adidas Oly shoes are brilliant but a flat boot is better for deadlifts and Powerlift squats, plus I wear my Oly shoes all the time now so need some other lifting footwear as they're starting to get pretty worn!
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:46 am

Aren

I've had more poontang than any one man deserves and I can assure you a goatee is a bad, bad thing. You look demented with it! :D
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Getting PT Qualified is just about getting a Reps Level 3 certification. As Aren says that can be done in as little as 6 weeks. And the Govn't thought this would tighten up the industry??

~90% of PTs are shit... and weak... and fat... and yet many earn a decent amount (for a while).

I say get qualified as cheaply and easily as possible knowing what you're doing is simply a means to an end and then read read read, attend courses/lectures/seminars with top trainers/coaches. Even as a good PT for some help; they may charge (quite rightly), but it'll be worth it.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:45 pm

The goatee needs to go.
I'm pretty sure when I say that Si and I combined outscore the rest of you and we're both against the goatee...
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Rilla wrote:The goatee needs to go.
I'm pretty sure when I say that Si and I combined outscore the rest of you and we're both against the goatee...

That
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 pm

Goatee: No chance. I've had it off once in the last 6 years and it made me look like I was about 12. I do not like clean shaven boy. But noted, anyway.

~90% of PTs are shit... and weak... and fat... and yet many earn a decent amount (for a while).

That's a little bit harsh, but yeah, I do generally agree.

You know that things are bad when a PT-to-be (nearing the end of their course) still spends their entire own workout doing bicep curls and a tour of the resistance machines rather than free weights. This is exactly what I've observed with a load of "PTs" about to graduate from the PT Academy course doing during their lunch break workout. Suffice to say I wasn't impressed... Fortunately, one of the other trainers at my gym - whose technical knowledge of strength and conditioning is absolutely outstanding - has taken over one of the tutoring jobs there, so the students are in really good hands. But 6 weeks just is NOT long enough....

It is shame, really, as I think that overall my three month diploma through Premier was actually very good overall (particularly the sports massage therapy section, and one of the tutors was brilliant, superb knowledge of biomechanics/kinetic chains) and gave people a good platform (as opposed to "finished article") with which to become effective/proficient trainers.

Got the Pullum powerlifting flat boots today to use instead of my Olympic lifting shoes which have a heel. Took a bit of getting used to, but reckon I'll be able to lift more in a couple of weeks as a result. I do my PL style squats fairly wide to maximise hip involvement.

Thurs 10th

Powerlift squat

5 * 60kg
5 * 100kg
3 * 140kg
3 * 150kg
3 * 150kg (just; was a bit of grinder)
3 * 140kg
3 * 140kg
3 * 140kg
Widowmaker: 25 * 80kg :-D Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Fuck. Very hard. Not strictly part of a pure strength protocol, I know, but I was feeling masochistic as I was disappointed not to have quite matched last week's session during the strength sets...

Deadlift (for hell of it to test out flat boot)

5 * 70kg
5 * 120kg (easy)

Utterly destroyed for quite a while afterwards from the 25 rep squat set. Pleased with that. When I can finish off with 50 * 100kg, then I'll consider myself properly strong on squat. It's nice to have targets.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am

How deep are your PL squats? Do you know anybody with experience that can call depth?
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 am

Welcome back Aren. Looks like you've made some very nice progress indeed!
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 pm

Rilla, they're just below parallel - hip below knee.

I've got excellent mobility and can do olympic style squats (and overhead squats) right down arse-to-floor. My powerlift squats are much wider stance, greater hip involvement, and therefore obviously not as deep. But I'm pretty confident they're "legal" lifts.

I haven't tried going super heavy on Olympic style ATG narrower squats for a while, but I'd guess I could probably do about 130kg * 3 Olympic style, so only slightly weaker... To be honest, I think my limiting factor is more core strength than primarily leg strength (despite how much supplementary core training I do). My legs could probably handle a 200kg squat, but I'd just buckle at the bottom of the squat if I attempted that weight.

I can comfortably do 5 * 90kg on Olympic style front squats, so probably about 100kg * 3 on those. The weight is rather uncomfortable across the deltoids though and the bar does choke me a bit!

To be honest my default squatting style is actually Olympic, but I'm pretty confident that the mechanics of the lift mean that with practice I'll be able shift a lot more weight classic PL style, particularly since I've got such a strong back.

I suppose I should add that all the sets of 3 above were done with knee wraps and Inzer belt. The set of 25 squats was done completely raw.

Strangely, I like to PL squat wide but deadlift narrow. My sumo style deadlifts are about 30kg weaker than my conventional. It would be more logical if I deadlifted sumo... Maybe just a practice thing. Sumo's are impossible to do properly on the barbells in my gym because the bar knurling stops near the middle area (where you grip sumo style) so you can't get a proper grip even with chalk. Pretty stupid. So I have to do my sumo style with lifting straps.

Cheers Karlos!
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Aren on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Training today consisted of a functional/cardio workout with my TRX suspension trainer.

High rep normal squats, narrow squats, split-stance squats, one-leg squats, and squats-to-rows, done at a very fast tempo and in circuit format. Did a fair few rows and one-arm rows, and a set of TRX press ups. Also threw in some plyometric jump squats and side to side bunny hops on the TRX.

Mixed in a few short sets of 10 swings with my heavy 32kg kettelbell.

Did a load of suspended crunches, oblique crunches, pendulums, and mountain-climbers.

Awesome bit of kit, and unbelievably bloody hard, especially since it merely uses your body weight! Think I might have to start blasting the smithereens out of my core 3x a week on recovery days to try to develop a core of steel as the core is usually the limiting factor on major compound lifts.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am

Just cos you're good at wide PLing squats doesn't mean you automatically should be ggod/best at sumo deadlifts. It's a very individual thing often determined by body shape & limb length. I'd stick with standard deadlift stance, although adding some sumos for variation is a good thing.
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Yeah, I think you're right.

I try to do Sumo's at least once a fortnight, if not once a week, just for the variety and the fact they hit the musculature in a different way.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Get a photo up Aren, let's see the goodstuff ;)
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Heh, Simon, yeah, I should probably take a photo, been about a year since I last took one. I'm starting to get decent definition again, just need to drop another few % BF and then I'll have a decent looking midsection...

Next week, however, I most certainly have plans for better than a photo: I want to record some videos of me lifting - squats and deadlifts... Been wanting to do that for a while. Might also take a video of me messing around with my "ghey" (to quote Rab :D) kettlebells, haha.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Aren on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 am

Definitely still too fat, looking rather soft at about 16% (even though I'm probably at my fittest, CV fitness is extremely good. Fitter than when I've been much leaner). I must have been an unbelievably fat git last summer as I've dropped 4 belt holes on my waist since then and yet am still far from ripped.

Actually following my own advice on diet is very hard, I enjoy the bad carbs a little too much... So anyway, more cardio on non weights days; 3x powerlifting training, 3x cardio/functional stuff training per week.

Had my boxing class this evening which I participated in due to odd numbers (so I became the final boxer/pad holder), which lasted an hour, then plodded away for 40 minutes on the Stairmaster machine which was fairly tough going on the level I had it set on. Think I might just grind out 2 hours of easy steady state cardio on non powerlifting days to lean up without much CNS hit. It helps pass the days.

To cheer myself up after yet another day (in yet another year...) of disappointment due to no reply whatsoever from some bird I was necking on with on Sat (I got her number at end of night), and a "no" from a bird at the gym I asked out for a drink, I had big stonking curry. I'll make sure to eat some proper meals tomorrow.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby simon m on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 am

Aren wrote:To cheer myself up after yet another day (in yet another year...) of disappointment due to no reply whatsoever from some bird I was necking on with on Sat (I got her number at end of night), and a "no" from a bird at the gym I asked out for a drink, I had big stonking curry. I'll make sure to eat some proper meals tomorrow.

Drop the Goatee getty Mingey! :lol:
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Not an especially good squat session today, but I did at least take a video @ 150kg. Raw, just belt (loose) and wrist wraps (which I didn't really need).

Depth was OK, need to work on my flexbility a bit to avoid excessive hip flexion as I'm still getting used to squatting in flat powerlifting boots rather than Olympic lifting shoes with heels. Still feels a little bit strange, but that is hardly surprising since I've been lifting in shoes with a heel for close to 15 years, so it'll take more than a couple of weeks!

Because I'm so bloody short, without the heel that setting on rack is about an inch too high so have to do a slight toe raise to get the bastard up... (Meanwhile the lower setting means I get an extra half-squat per set...).
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Impressive Good Mornings ;)
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Technique wise, they didn't look so hot mate, but that may be the camera angle.
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Its a lot of weight so credit where its due !

But its not the camera angle , you look like you are risking injury with that form

Is the beard weighing your chin down ?? :lol:
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Rab on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Not tidy reps but form is never gonna be textbook when pushing a weight that the lifter finds heavy.

I suggest shaving the hair off your chin and saing it up in a wee bag. After about 4 month you should have enough to prit stick it onto your head

Other than that....good depth on the squats and a huge inmprovement on where you were a wee while back mate
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

You look about two inches high, but angle is shit.
It looks an awful lot like the top pf a squat suit, but it might just be a really weird top?
Form relly isn't impressive, elbows are flailing about for one.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Please excuse my brevity above, I was on my phone.

Lik eI said, depth is not good - you would get three reds on the last rep (can't really see the others).
The Titan suit/vest over your t-shirt sure looks like a squat suit, but I could be mistaken of course.

Look at this pic:

That's what three whites look like.
Going ultrawide and squatting way back isn't alwways the superior alternative, it can be hard to hit depth unless you know how to do it (and it seems like you don't, I'm sorry). Going with a more upright torso is FAR less stressful to your lower back and I'm pretty sure if I can do it, so can you (since I'm about two feel taller than you are).
You don't just wake up as a good squatter. It takes alot of hard work. Squatting to different depths and in different styles might be counterproductive to your end goal.

Here's a video of a guy your size squatting. :)

Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Training Journals