Adaptogens

Forum to discuss supplements and get general advice.

Adaptogens

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:10 pm

I know Rhodiola is popular with a few here but does anyone use or recommend any other adaptogenic herbs/supplements?

Have been reading a few studies and scientific articles about adaptogens and they do seem to be vastly underrated and used considering their established benefits.

Evidence-Based Efficacy of Adaptogens in Fatigue, and Molecular Mechanisms Related to Their Stress-Protective Activity.
Panossian A, Wikman G.

Swedish Herbal Institute Research and Development, Spårvägen 2, SE-432 96 Askloster, Sweden. alexander.panossian@shi.se.

The aim of this review article is to assess the level of scientific evidence presented by clinical trials of adaptogens in fatigue, and to provide a rationale at the molecular level for verified effects. Strong scientific evidence is available for Rhodiola rosea SHR-5 extract, which improved attention, cognitive function and mental performance in fatigue and in chronic fatigue syndrome. Good scientific evidence has been documented in trails in which Schisandra chinensis and Eleutherococcus senticosus increased endurance and mental performance in patients with mild fatigue and weakness. Based on their efficacy in clinical studies, adaptogens can be defined as a pharmacological group of herbal preparations that increase tolerance to mental exhaustion and enhance attention and mental endurance in situations of decreased performance. The beneficial stress-protective effect of adaptogens is related to regulation of homeostasis via several mechanisms of action associated with the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and the control of key mediators of stress response such as molecular chaperons (e.g. Hsp70), stress-activated c-Jun N-terminal protein kinase (JNK1), Forkhead Box O transcription factor DAF-16, cortisol and nitric oxide (NO). The key point of action of phytoadaptogens appears to be their up-regulating and stress-mimetic effects on the "stress-sensor" protein Hsp70, which plays an important role in cell survival and apoptosis. Hsp70 inhibits the expression of NO synthase II gene and interacts with glucocorticoid receptors directly and via the JNK pathway, thus affecting the levels of circulating cortisol and NO. Prevention of stress-induced increase in NO, and the associated decrease in ATP production, results in increased performance and endurance. Adaptogen-induced up-regulation of Hsp70 triggers stress-induced JNK-1 and DAF-16-mediated pathways regulating the resistance to stress and resulting in enhanced mental and physical performance and, possibly, increased longevity.

Am beginning to think such things should be a cornerstone of supplementation rather than an after thought.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Adaptogens

Postby Rilla on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:24 pm

I've cut out the RR and I feel no different TBH...
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Not something I've ever got into but I quite possibly didn't given them enough time to show up any effect.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby RoB on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Schisandra chinensis, is supposedly the daddy of all adaptogens. One of the most important herbs used in chinese medicine and its been heavily researched by the Russians. Hell of a lot of positive things associated with it I believe, most notably it's renal and hepato-protective effects.
RoB
Regular Contributor

Postby Max on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Siberian ginseng is very good.
Pb's: Bench:140*10 - DL 260*2 - Squat to // 232.5*3
Max
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Alex - similarly have never tried them before but have been reading a lot of studies recently and, of all the herbal supplements reputed to do things, adaptogens like RR, Ashwagandha and Schisandra seem to be the ones with most research to back up the hype.

Rilla - you are the first person who I've heard admit to not seeing much with RR. Must be that Rilla constitution of yours is too hardcore for adaptogens.

RoB - yeah, schisandra keeps coming up as a good one. As you say, plenty of research done by the Ruskies.

Will collate some of the bits and pieces I've saved and put some adaptogen info up later. Am thinking about lining up a few of them and cycling them in blocks of 3 or 4 months.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 pm

Det when I was taking RR I was convinced it had a good effect on me, but now I feel like I'm high on life instead. Well being is a hard one to measure as it's affected by so many things. Subtle changes are hard to notice too. A 5% increase on your squat is easily measurable, but a even a 10% increase in mental wellbeing is hard to measure.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Rilla wrote:Det when I was taking RR I was convinced it had a good effect on me, but now I feel like I'm high on life instead. Well being is a hard one to measure as it's affected by so many things. Subtle changes are hard to notice too. A 5% increase on your squat is easily measurable, but a even a 10% increase in mental wellbeing is hard to measure.

Yes, good points. Just a thought but could be that the RR helped reset your system and helped you get to where you are now?

Have been reading a theoretical scientific model of the biochemistry/physiology behind depression and it suggests that imbalance in several systems, especially the HTP axis (which also regulates hormones and is definitely improved by adaptogens), is actually a prime cause of depression/protracted low mood.

Am not suggesting you were clinically depressed, but is possible that you weren't physiologically optimised before but the RR helped you get 'sorted' and so it's been easier for you since to develop the positive thinking and great outlook that you have now. Not saying its all down to the herbs but they may have helped.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:29 pm

I didn't notice anything from RR personally but then I notice little effect from herbals generally.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Holy Basil ;)
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Max wrote:Siberian ginseng is very good.

Yeah I rate this aswell. I just finsihed a bottle of Siberian Ginseng tincture... more expensive than the powder but apparently much more of it gets absorbed. Had to be taken on empty somach in a morning, at 15% proof it had a nice kick when you've just woken up! :D
..... and you're all set!
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Craig on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:09 pm

The GF took RR and no doubt it healed her adrenals as she can now feel stimulants again. RR will inly really help if something needs fixing.
Craig
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:
Rilla wrote:Det when I was taking RR I was convinced it had a good effect on me, but now I feel like I'm high on life instead. Well being is a hard one to measure as it's affected by so many things. Subtle changes are hard to notice too. A 5% increase on your squat is easily measurable, but a even a 10% increase in mental wellbeing is hard to measure.

Yes, good points. Just a thought but could be that the RR helped reset your system and helped you get to where you are now?

Have been reading a theoretical scientific model of the biochemistry/physiology behind depression and it suggests that imbalance in several systems, especially the HTP axis (which also regulates hormones and is definitely improved by adaptogens), is actually a prime cause of depression/protracted low mood.

Am not suggesting you were clinically depressed, but is possible that you weren't physiologically optimised before but the RR helped you get 'sorted' and so it's been easier for you since to develop the positive thinking and great outlook that you have now. Not saying its all down to the herbs but they may have helped.

I've always been pretty positive, though actually I think my current state of feeling invincible has much to do with something as simple as progressive overload leading to succes through progress.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Craig wrote:The GF took RR and no doubt it healed her adrenals as she can now feel stimulants again. RR will inly really help if something needs fixing.

I reckon the majority of people with todays lifestyle would benefit from adaptogens like RR. Though I feel they'll never really be popular because they're kind of hard to appreciate?
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 pm

And you have to really hunt down the best quality products with a decent % of active ingredients in.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Dtlv74 wrote:

Good post mate, think you explained that well.
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 pm

health4ni wrote:And you have to really hunt down the best quality products with a decent % of active ingredients in.

Agreed. I feel the tincture I used was much more effective than the tablets I've used from H&B for example.
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Bison wrote:from H&B
there you go
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Bison on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 pm

health4ni wrote:
Bison wrote:from H&B
there you go

It's was a couple of years ago in the sales ok!!!!

:oops:
Bison
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 pm

hehe
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Craig wrote:The GF took RR and no doubt it healed her adrenals as she can now feel stimulants again. RR will inly really help if something needs fixing.

I think that's hit the nail squarely on the head. The main function of adptogens is to help regulate and correct imbalances, so the effects are always going to be most pronounced on those who have such metabolic issues. In other folks however they can still help keep these processes working well, particularly at times of stress... so they still can have a use.

health4ni wrote:And you have to really hunt down the best quality products with a decent % of active ingredients in.

Yes definitely - so many herbal preperations are either way under dosed or presented in forms that aren't particularly bioavailable... or are just rediculously low on active ingredients. In general is far better to get an extract or tincture than just the dried or powdered herb. The stuff that's just dried may not be so bioavailable but might also have antinutrients too.
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:07 am

You're right Scott as a well know bulk supplier was selling RR with a 10th of the recommended strength some time ago :o

Back to OP, I love RR as I have a very stressful life, I'm shortly to go onto Serenity 2 which is a Poliquin supp from good old Scott which includes stuff such as Rehmannia root, Ophiopogon Root plus loads of other things
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby julesm on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:04 pm

whilst on my recent tour of the uk, i actaully might quite an influential homeopathist, however she had her medicines management hat on when i was talking to her, as this was her day job

she did tell me to have a pikey at an online store which sells herbal remedies - helios pharmacy

we were discussing jet lag as she was off to the states, so immediately i said melatonin- she said synthetic nonsense, arnica was the way forward, as it resets "shock" and since the body is going through different time zones, it is "shocked" and unable to catch up
i always thought arnica was for bruising :-) how wrong was I

i use NOW super cortisol support (when i remember), that has a whole host of adaptogens in it, subjective like, but i find it does take the edge off
julesm
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Interesting about arnica. I have tablets I sometimes use after rugby injuries and found I would sleep pretty soundly on it.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:24 am

An interesting thread.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Next