Acromioclavicular Joint (AC joint) Exercises

Your place to post about exercise technique and research

Acromioclavicular Joint (AC joint) Exercises

Postby Will on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Hullo all,

I initially thought I had an RC issue, and as it happens, I don't, but I do have an AC joint issue...

Anybody know of any exercises to improve strength and flexibility of said joint? any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :)

Will
Will
Super Contributor

Re: Acromioclavicular Joint (AC joint) Exercises

Postby simon m on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Go to the physio mate and have them show you the exercises, then you can do them as this is by far the best way with shoulders.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Don't do dips for a while either (or at all).
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:02 pm

health4ni wrote:Don't do dips for a while either (or at all).

Very good point, dips and pullups are probably out
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Been to the osteopath who told me that I had AC problems and that my RC was fine.

No pull ups eh? That's going to be tough not to do - it's not painful per se, but thre's something there, the osteo had a look and I felt like $1m afterwards - but I'm conscious there's something there and don't want to aggrevate it. Believe it or not chest press and incline have been an issue, so I've stopped those for a while and haven't really trained for a couple of weeks as a result just to let myself rest.

Was just wondering if there were any AC-specific exercises you may know of.
Will
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 pm

I was getting quite painful AC joints after chest days; presses definitely aggravated it. Strangely it seems to have abated. I know not why, but am thankful for it.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:22 am

This morning I woke up and it was rather painful it seems to have got progressively work during the week, I went to see my doc on the way to work and have been booked for an xray midday. He's suggest I don't do high impact sports for a while i.e. rugby, squash (not high impact per se but lots of shoulder movement) and it's a pain as I play these regularly. I can swim, run though - yay. :/ He did say I could carry on at the gym, but for shoulder work I need to use the pink fluffy weights basically and just do light work if I do any at all. :/

Meh - here I was thinking I was superhuman! :( Anyway I'm doing what I can to get it sorted - though I'm dreading having to take a break from the gym.. .well at least for some exercises.
Will
Super Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Don't worry Will - what you might you need is just a good stretch. Have you just tried hanging off of pullup bar as i did that and my AC popped back in almost immediately.
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Will on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:28 pm

simon m wrote:Don't worry Will - what you might you need is just a good stretch. Have you just tried hanging off of pullup bar as i did that and my AC popped back in almost immediately.

Yeah I tried that - I do it every night actually.

Went and had my xray - couldn't see it they're sending it to my doc :/
Will
Super Contributor

Postby ollie on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Will wrote:This morning I woke up and it was rather painful it seems to have got progressively work during the week, I went to see my doc on the way to work and have been booked for an xray midday. He's suggest I don't do high impact sports for a while i.e. rugby, squash (not high impact per se but lots of shoulder movement) and it's a pain as I play these regularly. I can swim, run though - yay. :/ He did say I could carry on at the gym, but for shoulder work I need to use the pink fluffy weights basically and just do light work if I do any at all. :/

Meh - here I was thinking I was superhuman! :( Anyway I'm doing what I can to get it sorted - though I'm dreading having to take a break from the gym.. .well at least for some exercises.

I'm in the same boat at the moment mate, it's bloody frustrating. Muscles get stronger more quickly than joints and tendons unfortunately :(
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Dips on Friday and my AC joints are a little tender. Seems to happen whenever I go heavy on Dips (50kg this time). Gonna restrict these to once a week max.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Shicky on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

I wasn't aware you could do much for your AC joint? I knocked mine out of place years ago and basically got accupuncture and manipulated a wee bit by physios, chiros etc. Anything I got given in terms of strengthening the joint seems to me to be RC exercises.

Mine is pretty bad as my shoulder is 'crushed down' on one side, making it visibly lower and my AC joint on that side visible. The only thing i've really been told to do is to take it easy and strengthen it slowly and that it will require surgery if i cant sort it myself
Simon M - For those who don't know, could you give the definition of a blumpy...
Cleaver - the joy of getting a bj whilst taking a dump
Discount code BSD34 for 5% off your first order :)
Shicky
Popular Member

Return to Exercise Kinesiology and Research