A Fresh Start

Want to keep an online log of your training? Here is the place

Re: A Fresh Start

Postby health4ni on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

^^ I kinda agree with Alex, but I would just say it depends on the carbs you are eating. If they're not the better type, then yeah, restrict them. Or cut out the bad carbs and eat better ones. Quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, buckwheat etc.

Nice deadlifting btw
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Being honest I've probably gradually slipped into eating a few more 'less clean' foods - over and above what I'd normally eat (i.e. I've been eating all my normal clean foods, then eating 'cheats' on top). It's a bit of a hangover from December and Christmas when I couldn't train through injury - everything kind of went out of the window..
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 pm

ollie wrote:Being honest I've probably gradually slipped into eating a few more 'less clean' foods - over and above what I'd normally eat (i.e. I've been eating all my normal clean foods, then eating 'cheats' on top). It's a bit of a hangover from December and Christmas when I couldn't train through injury - everything kind of went out of the window..

On that basis just cleaning up would do the job as dramatic drop in carbs will lead to tiredness and fallig off the wagon all too quickly.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:16 am

Maybe, on the other hand it might force me back into good habits. I think I just need to start planning my eating better though so maybe you're right.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:23 pm

ollie wrote:Maybe, on the other hand it might force me back into good habits. I think I just need to start planning my eating better though so maybe you're right.

How I see it is if you're going from eating in quantity and fairly unclean then it's far easier to slip into a good habit of eating still with quantity but keep sources mostly clean as you'll still see some calorie reduction but without so much of the issues of feeling hungry and craving.

Whereas a drastic change such as a big drop in carbs straight after eating in quantity will only mess up blood sugar levels, drop liver glycogen and create lathargy and generally piss you off. Maybe this apporach would be fine for a week, like a detox of sorts, but then I'd go back to just clean and reasonable quantity without starving yourself.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Thursday 10th February - Upper A

A1: Incline DB press [3-1-X-0] 48kg x 11 / 48kg x 9 / 48kg x 8
A2: DB row [3-0-X-0] 50kg x 12 / 50kg x 11 / 50kg x 10

B1: EZ military press [3-0-X-0] +55kg x 10 / +55kg x 10 / +55kg x 8
B2: Chin up [3-0-X-0] +15kg x 10 / +15kg x 9 / +15kg x 8

C1: CGBP [4-1-X-0] 100kg x 12 / 105kg x 10 / 110kg x 8
C2: DB curl [3-0-X-0] 24kg x 11 / 24kg x 10 / 24kg x 8

First session since the stag. Think I missed recording my session last Friday but it was similar to the above. Today was the first day I've felt anything like normal... it was definitely the most debauched weekend of my life and I'm including Glastonbury in that. And now... 2 weeks until boarding :D

Alex - reckon I'm going with that sort of approach. Don't really mind playing the long game.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Long game was pretty much how I approached last year and now it's pretty easy for me to stay lean although right now I'm probably a little too lean for growth but thats due to this Sunday's blow out. I tend to cramp a lot more when BF is getting low so wondering if I'm alone on this or not? I'm suspecting less fat equals holding less water and running mono may be compounding the issue although I only supplement around training.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Interesting - can't say I've noticed that but it's possible as I don't tend to cramp up at all whereas I used to occasionally.

How lean are you these days?
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Don't know for sure and I should get measured but I'd say easily below 8%. Can see big veins on Inner Thighs and vascular on Quads and Mid/Upper Back in places, good seperation on Arms and looking slightly gaunt at times.

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Not bad. Think anything in the region of 8-10% feels good and can be maintained whilst being sensible about the way you eat and live.

Friday 11th February - Lower A

A1: ATG squat [3-0-X-0] 140kg x 3 (x10) [45s rests]

B1: Deadlift [1-1-X-0] 180kg x 3 (x10) [45s rests]

C1: Leg extension [2-0-X-0] 90kg x 10 / 92.5kg x 9 / 92.5kg x 8 / 92.5kg x 8
C2: Leg curl [3-0-X-0] 70kg x 10 / 70kg x 9 / 70kg x 8 / 65kg x 10
C3: Calf raise [2-3-X-1] L17 x 12 / L17 x 11 / L17 x 11 / L17 x 10

PWO cardio 15 mins @ 155bpm

Pretty pleased with that. Threw in a bit of 10x3 which I'll keep up. I did this once before and the fat loss was great. Those are probably the two toughest exercises for it with the set up time in there too. Lower back doesn't feel quite right but didn't really create an issue. Don't think it's anything to worry about but will keep an eye on it.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Great volume on the squats!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:09 am

ollie wrote:Lower back doesn't feel quite right but didn't really create an issue. Don't think it's anything to worry about but will keep an eye on it.
Your lower back would've been hammered by doing deadlifts after squats. So just be mindful of this if you think you have some lower back issues.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby ollie on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:59 pm

That was probably it come to think of it. I'll stick to pairing deads with front squats from now on as that's never caused any issue.

Saturday 12th February - Upper B

A1: DB shoulder press [3-1-X-0] 38kg x 11 / 38kg x 10 / 38kg x 9
A2: Chin up [3-0-X-0] +20kg x 10 / +20kg x 9 / +20kg x 8

B1: Flat bench press [3-0-X-0] 100kg x 12 / 110kg x 9 / 115kg x 8
B2: T-bar row [3-0-X-0] +80kg x 10 / +90kg x 10 / +90kg x 9

C1: Dip [3-1-X-0] +40kg x 10 / +50kg x 8 / +50kg x8
C2: DB curl [3-0-X-0] 24kg x 11 / 24kg x 10 / 24kg x 9
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:38 pm

ollie wrote:That was probably it come to think of it. I'll stick to pairing deads with front squats from now on as that's never caused any issue.
Yeah, I'd rarely, if ever, recommend pairing full back squats with deadlifts.

Nice Dips btw
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Looking very strong there Ollie! What's your main training goal these days?
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby ollie on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:58 pm

At the moment I'm just looking to hold onto my mass and improve conditioning and fitness. I'm not interested in gaining any more size now.

My girlfriend broke up with me this afternoon. I don't even know why... we were only a month away from moving in together. Not sure whether it was a cold feet thing or just a culmination of other things but our conversation didn't really clarify what it was at all. Absolutely gutted. Had just chosen a ring.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Bad news Ollie, sorry to hear it. From what you have said it may be cold feet. Hope all gets sorted.
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby health4ni on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Ah fuck, that's rough. Sorry to hear that mate.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rab on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Bummer! SH!t news
Rab
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Gutted for you pal ! :(
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Spit on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

That's a shitter Ollie- saw the change on your Facebook but didn't want to mention it (and thus draw attention to it) on there. Give me a shout this week if you want to vent...
Spit
Dedicated Member

Postby ollie on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks all. Don't know what to think at the moment as I can't really believe it's over.

Just need to do as much as possible to keep my mind off it so might focus on training to at least keep things positive, rather than going down the booze route.
ollie
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Mate, really feel for you.

Things sometimes happen for reasons we don't really understand at the time but at some point you'll look back and see some positives from it. If I hadn't made some hard choices or had relationships go regarding women in the past then I wouldn't have ended up with what I have now so I view them all as good things even if they felt anything but at the time.

Hit the gym, not the bottle :)

Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Gym-pig on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Alex wrote:Mate, really feel for you.

Things sometimes happen for reasons we don't really understand at the time but at some point you'll look back and see some positives from it. If I hadn't made some hard choices or had relationships go regarding women in the past then I wouldn't have ended up with what I have now so I view them all as good things even if they felt anything but at the time.

Hit the gym, not the bottle :)

Totally agree ! ( except for the bottle ;) )
" You've got to stand up for yourself.Sometimes it might backfire ,and you might get hurt ,but it won't hurt as much as letting people constantly taking away your self -worth with their words " Gregg Valentino
Gym-pig
Super Contributor

Postby Aren on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear that mate.

I really can completely empathise, last 5 years have been utterly shit for me in that regard too. I think the most difficult thing to deal with is that you often don't get to understand why.

I'd been really good friends with a girl up here for about 4 years, known each other a long time, things suddenly seemed to have developed into an awful lot more than that, anyway, arranged to meet up around her place again; she wasn't there when I turned up at her doorstep. Since then a total wall of silence. Nothing. It wouldn't have been so bad if she would just tell me why the sudden change of heart. Maybe she doesn't know herself.

I think in your case though there is every chance that with a bit of time you'll get a chance to at least have a proper conversation about it. So I hope you get that opportunity.

Anyway, this brilliant article by Henry Rollins might help - even if only just a tiny fraction. It certainly spoke to me:

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/henryrollins_iron.html

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
Aren
Regular Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Training Journals