5/3/1 for Powerlifting

The place to discuss powerlifting and powerbuilding based training!

5/3/1 for Powerlifting

Postby health4ni on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:48 pm

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-log ... 005&tid=63" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim Wendler wrote:So I finally finished the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book today. I'm gonna go help build a chopper this weekend and come back to it and make sure it's what I want - and then send it to get edited. So far, I am very pleased with it as it is very easy to understand and very easy to implement.

Here is the table of contents for the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting book...

* A Declaration
* 5/3/1 Training
* 5/3/1 for Powerlifting: An Overview
* Off Season Training
* Pre Meet Training
* Meet Prep Training
* N.O.V Powerlifting
* Training for the Non Competitive Powerlifter
* Old Man Winter: Training for Mr. Gray Pubes
* Assistance Work
* To Pause or Not to Pause- The Bench Press
* Using Knee Wraps
* Box Squats vs. Free Squats
* Choosing a Shoe
* Squatting in Gear
* Benching in a Shirt
* Deadlifting in a Suit
* Rich T. Baggins Squat Cycle
* Circa Max Training
* Your First Powerlifting Meet
* Meet Checklist

Right now it's 106 pages. A lot of broken brain cells were revived during this creation. Next book - N.O.V; this is the one that is gonna have all the conditioning and everything I can think of in it. Yoke and neck work, conditioning, real training, mini-articles, and everything else. Just want to spread the truth and the word in an industry that forgot that it should be Private Reich instead of Corporal Klinger.

I still and hopefully will always feel like that pissed off 16 year old kid with a chip on my shoulder. May the passion to prove the world wrong and do what it is necessary to move forward and kick ass never die.

Revolucion! Vive NOV, carron!
Cluster Training
http://health4ni.com/ :: BSD Discount Code: BSD6505
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Re: 5/3/1 for Powerlifting

Postby Ader on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 pm

Cool - I quite like Elite FTS there's some good stuff on there - Always interesting to read thorugh the Q&A now and again too.
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I'll probably be getting the book ASAP.
After my PL meet in ten days, I'm switching to 5/3/1 for some time. Really like the simple basic approach and the flexibility. I'll be adding in some finishers (prowler, farmerwalk, CF-type metcon) which fits in perfectly.
Really like Wendler's writing style.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Yeah, he's a funny fucker for sure.

Well, I'm liking 5/3/1 so far. I need a program designed by someone else to follow as I can't help but mess with my own too much. I think a lot of PTs, coaches etc are like that... at least that's what I'm sticking too.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:15 pm

It's simple and basic with plenty of room to fuck about while still getting steady progress in the big lifts. Win.
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Dtlv74 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Was about to post a thread asking peoples views on the wendler 5/3/1 but thought I'd be lazy and just bump this one... anyone tried it and followed it through properly?

Routine outlined briefly in link - http://muscleandbrawn.com/wendlers-531- ... ng-system/
Dtlv74
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 am

I posted some thoughts in my journal the other day.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 am

Det I'm on my 3rd cycle. I really like it. I need to have a program created by someone else (most of it anyway) to make progress else I tend to mess about with it too much.

I'm poor with pressing work, esp bench & military, so I'm really hoping this prog will help. So far it's actually been real tough as progress is not as I had hoped on those two lifts. In fact, I will be going back to cycle 1 weights and simply starting again, but ensuring I beat all the rep PRs.

For my deadlifts & squats it's going really well. On Tues I did 11 reps of 155kg which is a PR. The prog keeps you away from 1RMs for quite a few cycles on exercises with heavy weights (squats & deads for most people). That way in a few cycles time when I'm nearing my last tested PR I'll be smashing it hopefully.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

11 reps at 155kg is pretty awesome. What weight are you?

I see that in my absence everyone has gone over to PL these days. Good stuff! :-D
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Rilla on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 am

5/3/1 is not a system for powerlifting at all. Pretty far from actually. Frequency is far too low for one and it'll take most people around six months or more to get down below 5 reps on their main exercises.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 am

Aren wrote:11 reps at 155kg is pretty awesome. What weight are you?

I see that in my absence everyone has gone over to PL these days. Good stuff! :-D

Between 70-72kg. Trying to get heavier with lean muscle.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Aren wrote:11 reps at 155kg is pretty awesome. What weight are you?

Not all mate, I'm still hetro and not a powershirtlifter
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:02 pm

tbh everyone's gone to the Darkside :roll: except a few of us
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am

Mmm, that's disappointing to hear Scott... I hope no one who competes is darkside, though I realise that in the world of sport, that is of course inevitable, so I guess one never knows when you line up in a competition how many of those have gained unfair advantage...

Well, I'm with you. I do this for health (though I realise that powerlifting is a bit more dangerous for joint health etc., and one has little margin for error when doing maximal lifts...) so I'll always be 100% clean. Maybe if I'm 50 and feel like I'm starting to go downhill that might change, I suppose. One can only slow, not halt, the decline in hormonal profile. However at 29 I feel just as lively and crazy as I did at 16, so it is all good! (And progressing better than ever before too. Recovery is better/faster than ever...).

If anything I hardly take any supplements these days either. Just multi vitamin, whey protein concentrate, ultra fine oats, and milk protein concentrate. Occasionally taurine etc. if I feel like a pre-workout boost. But mostly it is too much hassle, so just a bit of protein and carbs for me, and plenty of real food!
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 am

And 11 reps at 155kg is a good target. We must be pretty damn close on strength I suspect - though you're undoubtedly leaner than me - I'm working on it!

Might give the 155kg challenge a go next time I do a deadlift workout. Way outside my normal rep range - I've been training sets of 3! Pretty confident I could do 6-8, I imagine it will start getting rather nasty after that!
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:55 pm

I did 9 with 162.5kg the other day which I feel is better.

People do what they wanna do. We live in a society of "I want it all and I want it now!"

I don't really care if people decide to use AAS etc, but I lose all respect for them if they compete in a sport where such use is banned.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Karlos on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm

health4ni wrote:I did 9 with 162.5kg the other day which I feel is better.

People do what they wanna do. We live in a society of "I want it all and I want it now!"

I don't really care if people decide to use AAS etc, but I lose all respect for them if they compete in a sport where such use is banned.

what? you don't respect any elite athletes? :lol:
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby health4ni on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:03 pm

^^ ignorance is bliss :mrgreen:

They're not all on it, but I know some will be. Most top level athletes are genetic freaks that don't need drug use. They were born fast/strong etc.
Cluster Training
health4ni
Ultimate Contributor

Postby simon m on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:17 pm

health4ni wrote:^^ ignorance is bliss :mrgreen:

They're not all on it, but I know some will be. Most top level athletes are genetic freaks that don't need drug use. They were born fast/strong etc.

I agree, I know people who are bigger, stronger and faster than any gearheads I've met; they are blessed people who work bloody hard to be even better and it's an insult to believe it comes out of a bottle.

I think those who can't quite make it would like to believe that drugs are the difference and they're deluded.
Have YOU kissed your guns today?!
simon m
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:26 pm

9 @ 162.5kg is a sersiously sterling effort Scott. I've done 4 * 5 * 165kg before, so I reckon I could get close, but that would be an extraordinarily painful set.

I did however do 25 * 80kg on squats today (at end of session), which I feel is pretty decent tonnage, and was incredibly nasty :-D
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby Rilla on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am

Just for reference, there's been a repout contest with 100kg at my gym. Best so far is 65 reps by a guy weighing just over 100kg himself. My TP (who's actually mostly a CFer) did 40 at 78kg BW. I believe there was a 71kg guy that hit 38 reps.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:33 am

A hammer thrower friend of mine from Holland was doing 100kg bench press x 36 reps. There are a few beasts out there!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby Karlos on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:25 am

Coop_de_Ville wrote:A hammer thrower friend of mine from Holland was doing 100kg bench press x 36 reps. There are a few beasts out there!

Shit. I bet his genetics are reeally good.
Use discount code BSD16 for 5% off your first order
Karlos
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Thats crazy. Most I've managed was something like 23 after doing very heavy 1RM sets at around 160kg-170kg so it made 100kg seem light as a feather.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 pm

This guy is a beast, he is 23 and powercleans (voorslaan) 175kg!!!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Powerlifting