4 Min Rowing challenge

Whether its the treadmill, HIIT, Plyometrics, skipping or sled pulling....ask\put it here!

Re: 4 Min Rowing challenge

Postby kp1512 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:10 pm

on the concept website the record for 75kg is under 6 mins?!?! thats nuts!
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Alex on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 am

I should find out what my Dad used to do as he rowed to a pretty high standard.
'Behave like you are the best...and you'll have the best chance of being the best you can be.'

'Be effective: do what works...and keep doing it.'

'Bask in the turbulence of my magnificence.'
Alex
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:52 pm

One of the lads I trained with was doing a 5.47! Sick!!
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Postby xRichx on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:10 am

Coop_de_Ville wrote:My best time was 6.24, I was aiming for the U23 squad qualifying time which was 6.20 before I switched to the sledding.

Feck me!!! That's 40 seconds on my quickest time over 2k and I had to lie on the floor whilst my eyesight went fuzzy and I nearly blacked out. My heart rate maxed out at 206bpm too!

Aim over the winter is to get it under the 7min mark! Might try the bicarbonate of Soda trick to buffer the lactic acid build up?!
1/2 Iron Man training at present...

BSD54 for a better 5% off your first order than the others offer.
xRichx
Popular Member

Postby kp1512 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:54 pm

right - 4 mins did 1128m.

first attempt so pleased i think.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Benny on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 pm

I did a minutes slow warm up and then 20 seconds max effort, with 10 seconds rest x 8 and hit just over 1300.

I came pritty close to breaking the 41minute barrier for a 10KM with a few stops for water in the summer.

Be interesting to see what my 4 minute time would be though going to be a while before I can find out.

For the record I was under the impression the 'difficulty level' people often refer to from 1-10, doesn't affect resistance at all. It affects the catch position which is when resistance is introduced on the stroke. 10 being right at the beginning and 1 much further back. Supposed to simulate different weight boats/people in regards to boyancy.

I may however be completely wrong and speaking out of my poop hole :lol:
Use discount code 'BSD324' for 5% off your first order.
B - 120KG, S - 170KG, DL - 200KG//490KG -10KG to go.
Benny
ESN Regular

Postby cleaver on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Benny wrote:For the record I was under the impression the 'difficulty level' people often refer to from 1-10, doesn't affect resistance at all. It affects the catch position which is when resistance is introduced on the stroke. 10 being right at the beginning and 1 much further back. Supposed to simulate different weight boats/people in regards to boyancy.

I may however be completely wrong and speaking out of my poop hole :lol:

Its for setting the drag factor. Basically the damper (the 1-10 thingy) affects the air flow to the flywheel. The higher the setting, the more air gets in. The more air that gets in the faster the deceleration of the flywheel, the harder it is for you.

If you are using the newest version of the concept 2 you can check it by going;

Menu > More options > Display drag factor

Row a few strokes and it dispays the factor. Every machine is different with age, condition, temperature etc all having an effect.

Male rowers are told to set the drag factor at 135.
Rilla wrote:Up the dose.
That's the only way you fucking junkies overcome adversity.

"I think it's all to do with influences from the Bollywood film industry," says Mr Patel.
Use code BSD10 to get 5% off your first order
cleaver
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Aren on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:34 pm

6:20 is seriously tanking it for 2k! Interesting to know that is a benchmark "qualifying time" for GB.

I haven't done a hard session on a rowing machine for a while, but last time I did I managed 2k in just under 7:30. That was hard, but definitely not my all out max effort. I pretty confident I could get under 7 minutes now.

We had a 300m rowing machine challenge in my gym at the end of last year, I did that in 51.5 seconds. I'm in better shape now so should be able to do that in sub 50. However, some of the Newcastle Falcon rugby players came into the gym that day, and I believe the best time set by one of them was around 44 seconds! Beast!

I've just picked up a new client who is training to get into the female GB rowing squad for the 2012 Olympics. I only discovered this towards the end of the session, as I kept having to move her up to a heavier kettlebell throughout the session as I couldn't believe how strong she was and she had great stamina. A lot of typical guys struggle swinging a 16kg kettlebell for reps, let alone timed sets of 60 seconds*. After a few weeks with her, I'm confident I'll have got her up to the 24kg so that she can humble and shame most of the male gym members, haha.

Makes me think I need to start hammering the rowing machine a lot more, need to up my game so than I can start swinging my 32kg bell for decent lengths of time rather than reps!

* And to be honest, the average person's strength endurance is so dismal that they can't even swing a 8kg for very long before they're wiped out.
Aren
Regular Contributor

Postby kp1512 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Aren

I agree - and theres alot of truth to that fact that us in the western world are losing our fitness and capacity with the advent of internet, fad diets and basically having everything automated.
kp1512
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Rilla on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Aren wrote:6:20 is seriously tanking it for 2k! Interesting to know that is a benchmark "qualifying time" for GB.

I haven't done a hard session on a rowing machine for a while, but last time I did I managed 2k in just under 7:30. That was hard, but definitely not my all out max effort. I pretty confident I could get under 7 minutes now.

We had a 300m rowing machine challenge in my gym at the end of last year, I did that in 51.5 seconds. I'm in better shape now so should be able to do that in sub 50. However, some of the Newcastle Falcon rugby players came into the gym that day, and I believe the best time set by one of them was around 44 seconds! Beast!

I've just picked up a new client who is training to get into the female GB rowing squad for the 2012 Olympics. I only discovered this towards the end of the session, as I kept having to move her up to a heavier kettlebell throughout the session as I couldn't believe how strong she was and she had great stamina. A lot of typical guys struggle swinging a 16kg kettlebell for reps, let alone timed sets of 60 seconds*. After a few weeks with her, I'm confident I'll have got her up to the 24kg so that she can humble and shame most of the male gym members, haha.

Makes me think I need to start hammering the rowing machine a lot more, need to up my game so than I can start swinging my 32kg bell for decent lengths of time rather than reps!

* And to be honest, the average person's strength endurance is so dismal that they can't even swing a 8kg for very long before they're wiped out.

Who cares about swings? Snatches is where it's at!
Big Choppa wrote:Rab's face probably scares the bar up. Explains his Shit deadlift as well cause the wants to stay away from his deformed bonce.
Rilla
Ultimate Contributor

Postby Coop_de_Ville on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 pm

What kind of work are you doing with her? I know from my days on world class start weights were only used mainly for circuit type sessions and reps of 15+ (although I did my own routine and snuck in a few 8 rep sets!!).
C_D_V
Coop_de_Ville
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Cardiovascular Fitness